In the walk through book I bought for this game, I couldn’t get their suggestions to work, and died multiple times trying. I found that I got hurt worse by following their directions, and summoning Odin only caused problems. My husband suggested creating another paradigm. In taking that advice, I found what I think is a better way that lets you take less damage, and made the fight go what I thought was a lot quicker. I thought I’d share our findings.
Pre-boss fight advice:
* Use the bridge areas to level all three jobs of your three main characters to level 3. This is helpful not only in providing further skills, but the HP bonuses added are almost essential.
* The Gold Bangle you find in one of the treasure sphere’s in this area should go to Hope to increase his HP.
Chars I used: Lightning, Hope, Fang
Bully – Com, Syn, Sab
Relentless Assault – Rav, Rav, Com
Tireless Charge – Com, Med, Com
Alternates Paradigms that I had / but didn’t use at all
Diversity – Rav, Med, Com (I didn’t end up using this at all, but good to have)
Hero’s Charge – Med, Syn, Com (I didn’t end up using this at all, but good to have)
Combat Clinic – Med, Med, Sen (I didn’t end up using this at all, but good to have)
*Start the fight with Bully, enabling Hope to get some party buffs out, and Fang to Debuff Barthandelus (hopefully slow, curse and some others). If you take too much damage switch to Tireless charge until is full or near full, then back to Bully if you weren’t able to get your buffs/debuffs cast.
* Use a Librascope to reveal Barthandelus’s 4 individual armor pieces and as well as his own weaknesses.
* Attack his armor first rather than attacking Barthandelus. (Left Pauldron, Left Ailette, Right Pauldron, Right Ailette) These need to be destroyed so that Barthandelus will be more susceptible to damage and debuffs.
* Switch between Relentless Assault & Tireless Charge. Tireless Charge will be anytime you need healing. If buffs wear, you can supplement with an occasional switch to Bully to re-apply.
* Once armor is destroyed, Switch to Bully to debuff Barthandelus, as always switch to Tireless Charge if healing is needed.
* After the initial stagger, Barthandelus will start using a powerful ability called Destructo. Destructo is very strong and can easily quickly wipe out your whole party. This assault is preceded by a notification and a”power up” period that lasts approximately 25 seconds.You can sometimes half-interrupt, and prolong this “power-up” session by doing enough damage to him. Use Tireless Charge to have Hope do any needed healing during this time, while Lightning & Fang continue to beat on Barthandelus. As soon as you are full, switch to Relentless Assault. The secret is that the more damage you do to him during this “Power up” period, the less damage you will take from his Destructo ability. Even if buffs happen to wear at the wrong time, and if you’ve done enough damage, it won’t be as devastating.
* Rinse lather repeat between Relentless Assault and Tireless Charge until you take him out.
Doing it the way I outlined above, I never had to summon Odin (who is more trouble than help in this fight… no offense), and we defeated him long before he ever decided to cast doom on Lightning/team leader.
~ side note: The book instructs you to switch to Hero’s Charge and manually heal everyone up to full during that “power up” period to prepare for Destructo. If you do that, you will be left in low yellow and red health bars, that is if the Destructo ability doesn’t wipe you out. You then have to take added time to heal back up, making it take even longer. After some point in time, Barthandelus will actually cast “doom” on you. The book says you still have time, and if you need to, summon Odin. (This is a bad idea, When Odin comes your other party members are not available to cure or cause damage and Odin spends some time in his shield mode not causing enough damage, plus if Odin leaves, your doom status returns.)
So enjoy…. Hope this helps!
I kind of enjoy that fight now using the tactics I outlined.