So yesterday Mojang had released Beta version 1.3. The following was the reported changes:
Implemented a new lighting engine with the help of MrMessiahs (can be turned off)
* Changed the options around, added a new “Graphics options” button
* Added beds. If all players in a map sleeps in a bed during night, the game immediately skips until morning
* Added three new half-size blocks
* Added Delay/Repeater redstone dust blocks
* Added whitelisting to the server. To use, enter “whitelist <cmd>” where cmd is “on”, “off”, “add <player>”, “remove <player>”, “list” or “reload”
* New save file format, old maps need to be converted (that might take a while..)
* It’s now possible to have more than five save slots, and to rename saves
* Scrollbars in both the texture pack list, and in the map selection screen
* Replaced the Mojang splash image to reflect the new logo colors
* .. and a bunch of bug fixes and tweaks!
My impressions of the update:
* I really like the new lighting. For being so basic, the graphics are starting to look pretty nice. As odd as it is to say, its feel is more realistic than what it was when I started playing during Alpha. No where near FFXIV-esque detail realistic mind you, but definitely an improvement.
* I like the bed, lol.. now I have to replace my piles of wool and stone half blocks for pillows with these new beds. I haven’t seen the “go to sleep and have it become day” work yet, mostly because you have to get everyone in the map to do it, and people are busy doing stuff.. lol. Also kind of glad you don’t have to have “red” wool to craft the bed with, white works just fine. 🙂
* Love that on single player I can now have more than 5 worlds. I share a computer with my kids, so it allowed us to have only one world each because even if they logged in on their own account, the client still pulls up the same world files. Now I can name them, and they don’t have to remember which world number they were, and even better I can create a brand new place without deleting someone’s work.
Playtime after the update: Upon logging into the multiplayer server we play on, we were thrown into a new map, which in actuality is kind of a fun break from the admitted self-induced pressure of trying to make Waterhaven be the best it can be. A vacation of sorts. Blind_rage and I logged in and wandered out and found a totally new place and built ourselves a new place to hold up at until the old map gets converted and re-set back up.
Blind was joking that he’d almost rather stay on the new map and start over again. Within an hour we found (well he found) about 10 diamonds, still lava pools, 50+ iron, and an abundance of coal, which is far more than we found on the other map.
In fairness though, in Waterhaven we probably just didn’t realize how much we had. To try and fit in with the RP part of the server, we thought it would be cool to have designated roles. We had someone show interest in our town and say they wanted to be the “town miner” so they did the official mining in the town. It was kind of an odd conversation, because Blind & I use everything we collect for the town, so when it came up what “percent” they’d get to keep for themselves, we hesitated, but figured 50% seemed alright, since they were going to be a part of the town.
Not sure if it was because the server got griefed, and we were having to rebuild so much, or if they just had collected enough resources on their own, but they quit the other day saying that they no longer wanted anything to do with our town. ><
Its hard to say, maybe they just got bored, or maybe we were duped and it was the plan all along to just gather resources and then leave. Who knows… But I can kind of see this as a way for people to exploit towns they have no real interest in. We may need to rethink that part of our “Role Play” scenerio for the town.
We’ve closed applications for Waterhaven for the time being. We want to see of those who are left, which ones are actually interested in making this town, and who is just wanting a quick place to stay and gather supplies so they can go build their own town.
I miss our Waterhaven though, and kind of wonder how much of the plugins are going to have to be totally re-added from scratch, and if I’m going to have to establish permissions for people again, and if we will still have the gold that we had deposited into the new /towny mod that had just been implemented…. *sigh* I guess we will know in about a week.
It had been looking pretty promising, and I feel bad for the server admin who will have to spend the time re-instituting things they had just put in place. That is all part of the game being in “Beta” I suppose.
The server admins are pretty great though. They don’t put up with a lot of nonsense, which is awesome I think. I think that multiplayer games should teach respect and encourage respectful cooperative behaviors. There is enough disrespect in real life, I’d like to be able to escape to a world where people aren’t totally out for themselves. Idealist pipe dream I’m sure, but it seems like when MMO’s don’t encourage people to be respectful either by implementing limits or making malicious unwarranted actions have consequesnces, they kind of become a waste of time for anyone trying to make any progress.
This particular server is still in its infancy, but I see great things in its future if the admins continue to strive the way they have to make a reasonable atmosphere.