Yoshi-P’s 35th Letter from the Producer has been released, and with it we’ve gained some small tidbits into what lies ahead of us. I’ve outlined below the basic statements:
Final Fantasy’s 25th Anniversary begins tomorrow!
– they will be having a “Live Stage Event” with regards to FFXIV.
– In the days following, they plan on releasing official subtitled videos of the event.
Alpha / Beta information
– They will be putting up a tester recruitment site soon, with further information regarding alpha .
– Testers purpose will not be there for gameplay, but rather to cooperate with devs in testing server stress and mechanics implemented, etc.
– Testers will have to sign a NDA (non-disclosure agreement)
– The version will be limited, and the experience will be a “far cry” from what playing the final product will be like.
– Alpha testing will be broken into 4 phases
– Each phase will be multiple cycles of “test and tweak”
– 1st Phase will be limited to local testers (Japanese testers) so that they can quickly respond to server crashes, etc. This phase is merely preparation to be sure that things are stable enough, and to put into place the structure necessary to test and receive feedback on a global scale, which is the goal.
– 2nd Phase will open up to include testers overseas.
– Beta won’t start until Yoshi-P is 100% happy that things are ready for that stage. They also won’t go live with the final version until they have a chance to consider and implement feedback from the beta stage.
Grand Finale of current version of FFXIV
– Final Save Maintenance occurs Nov 1, 2012 (any progress made after this point will not be carried over into 2.0)
– Current Servers come down on Nov 11, 2012 at 0:00 AM PST / 8:00 AM GMT
– SE will be conducting a poll of players to see if people want to have access to the current version and continue to play even though – #1 Any progress won’t be carried over to 2.0, #2 There will be no more patches or bug fixes as devs will be focused on 2.0 only at that point. If players vote they do want to keep playing in the interim, SE may bring current servers back online in the days following. Players will be asked to ignore the inevitable story contradictions, and would play for free if they had an active subscription on Sept 30th, 2012. Again, remember that no progress made during that time period will be transferred over to 2.0
Live Letter from the Producer
– Nov 11, 2012 at 2:00 AM PST / 10:00 AM GMT