Surviving the doldrums….
What to do while we wait for Open Beta of FFXIV? That is a very good question!
Through the last few weeks I’ve heard a lot of different takes on possible ways to spend this downtime. The answers I’ve heard range from going back through and playing all the old Final Fantasy games someone had access to….. to completely swearing off games in general for an entire month in order to negotiate out that week straight of non-interrupted FFXIV game time once the game comes out.
What are you doing?
For those totally lost and without direction… here are a few FFXIV related suggestions that will either help get you your fix.. or make you even more impatient. ^^
Suggestion: Find that appropriate name! (if needed)
Your name is like a promise. ^^ If you haven’t settled on a character name, now is the time to wrestle with working one out. Wither its renaming an existing character, or naming a brand new one, here are some suggested places to look for inspiration.
- Visit Baby Naming websites or borrowing a Baby Naming Book.
- Study up on the FFXIV Race Naming conventions published on the Lodestone!
- Draw inspiration for names from things that interest you.
Last Note: If you do visit Baby Naming websites, or borrow a Baby Naming book… be cautious about leaving that kind of stuff lying around in plain sight. You might give your loved ones something to worry about! ^^
- Here’s the link! ^^ Be prepared to laugh, cry, and get all nostalgic.
Suggestion: Relocate those old FFXIV Screenshots before deleting the old 1.0 Client! (If you haven’t already)
- My Documents > My Games > Final Fantasy XIV > Screenshots
Move the entire folder to a safe place. If you don’t do this before removing the old client, then you will loose them!
Suggestion: Plan out your ingame HUD! This has been my personal favorite pastime the last few days!
If you haven’t seen this little gem yet go take a look! Yes I know most of the print is in Japanese, but you if you are familiar with FFXIV ARR or MMO’s at all, you don’t really have to be able to read it to know what part of the HUD it is. Move the HUD pieces around and find that perfect HUD configuration ahead of time with the FFXIV HUD Simulator!
Use the simulator’s controls on the left hand side of the screen to:
- “Capture” Tab – Once done moving and adding what you like, click the “Execute” button to get a snapshot of your HUD layout creation. It takes a second, but once the picture pops up, you can right on it and save/copy the image from there! I hit “Copy” then pasted it into paint. ^^
- “Display” Tab – Honestly haven’t figured out what that does.
- “Widget” Window/Tab – Use this to customize how many/which hotbars you want, their visibilty tabs, and a whole lot of other options you can turn on and off!
- “Action” Tab – Use this window to allow you to actually set FFXIV skills/spells in your hotbar. You could actually spend some real time and have this all figured out ahead of time! For help on figuring out what skills/spells/abilities are what (if you can’t read Japanese) go to this site and match up the pictures and read the skill details there.🙂
- “Wall” Tab – Open this tab and then drag your favorite FFXIV screenshot (hopefully one that doesn’t show the UI) in to serve as the backdrop for your creation!
- “About” Tab – as expected will tell you about the program and the creator…. well… if you can read Japanese. ^^
Here is a crazy setup I threw together to show how creative you can get!
Suggestion: Get other things done ahead of time – so you can spend hours playing around perfecting your 2.0 character with the “Character Creation” Benchmark that is due to be released on August 1st!!
In any case.. While it seems like its taking forever, we are actually in the home stretch ladies and gentlemen! Launch will be here before you know it!
Now to go work out a HUD layout that is a little more feng shui! I’ll catch you later! ^^